A Sick Runner is a Grumpy Mother

No, I don't mean a grumpy mother**** beepbeep.  I mean literally a grumpy mom.  Ok, maybe I mean a little of the former as well... but dangit.  It's hard.  When you rely on moving your body as a primary form of self care and space for yourself, then when you can't it's really rough. 

This has been my face for a couple of days now:
Blah Sick Face
Add to that the anxiety over my potential performance in my upcoming races and the need to log miles to feel confident - and I'm pretty much a mess.  Trying to keep it together and cling to a few other ways of feeling like a productive human being and not a bad mom and bad runner and bad everything.  I can make a blog post.  CHECK.  I've fed my child this morning.  CHECK.  I took my medicine.  CHECK!  I started the new rally in my fashion game (Covet Fashion) and assigned teams.  CHECK.  I printed something to send to my Visiting Teachees. (This is an LDS thing where you are assigned a few sisters in the ward who you check in with monthly - just to fellowship and make sure everyone has everything they need, kind of a thing.)  CHECK!  These are simple things I can do almost all from sitting/laying/resting.  Yes, I had to get up to feed Ruby, ok.  But I'm trying to rest.  I think I'm on the mend but won't run today even if I start feeling peppy just to be sure.  The good news is that the weather is no longer prohibitive to stroller running, so Ruby and I should be quite comfortable tomorrow when we (hopefully) return to our regularly scheduled program.  

I did read something not long ago about how our worth is not tied to our productivity - I really feel this is true.  However - I am still compelled to be productive.  Something I will continue to work on with myself.  What kinds of things do you do for self-care that are easy to do when you're feeling sick?

Comments